2026年7月28日 星期二

“Surrounded by Idiots” Book Review

 

Do you think you are surrounded by idiots?

Last summer, during a two-week trip to England, I picked up this book in London simply because the title caught my eye.

One person may think another person is an idiot, and vice versa. Everyone may be regarded as an idiot by different types of people.

This book gave me a lot of inspiring ideas. Many people criticize the author for oversimplifying human complexity by using only four groups to differentiate people; however, he went ahead and did it anyway.


Color Personality Summary Table

Color Profile

Dominant Traits

Core Motivation

Focus

Key Weaknesses

Red

Result-oriented, dynamic

Achieving, controlling

The Goal

Can be insensitive, impatient

Yellow

Creative, optimistic

Expressing, influencing

People, Ideas

Struggle with focus, attention span

Green

Patient, supportive

Stabilizing, cooperating

The Team, Harmony

Resistant to change, can appear too passive

Blue

Analytical, precise

Analyzing, organizing

Facts, Details

Slower to decide, can be perceived as cold

The author also said:

“Statistically speaking only 5 percent of the population has just one color that shows in their behavior. Around 80 percent have two, and the rest have three. No one has four, with the tool I use.” (p. 96)

“So the basic rule is to meet a Red with Red behavior, Yellow with Yellow... You’ve done your work with pacing. Then it’s time to get them on board by making certain demands. Keep these straightforward at first, then make them a little tougher.” (p. 235)

One message from this book is that unless you’re living on a deserted island, there’s nobody in the world who shares your exact personality, so blending in is a basic survival skill. How to deal with idiots: just act like one of them on the outside.

When I started reading this book, I wanted to know my exact color; however, I realized my color is subject to change in different situations. Ultimately, I learned that the main takeaway from this book is not to be bound by the colors, but to understand my true self. Though I may not choose to apply recommendations from this book to my real life, I am glad to discover different models that help people find themselves and cope with the people around them.

It’s great to find yourself, be honest with yourself, and set goals for yourself.

All the best!

沒有留言:

張貼留言

精選文章

退休的遐想

  基本要求: 1 保持身體健康:每天做運動,切忌過重或過輕。 2 保持身心健康:做自己喜歡的事、放下執著、學習感恩及活在活下。 3 保持飲食均衡:勿暴飲暴食,吃健康的食物,學煮東西吃。 4 財務自由,計劃自己每月大約的開支及洗費,量入為出。 退休金額與退休生活(未計通脹,全用現...